Friday, January 28, 2022

Service outline for Sunday, January 30, 2022

                              Welcome to worship at St. Paul’s Lutheran Church!

PRELUDE      Heavenly Light                     Schubert

 * CONFESSION AND FORGIVENESS

All may make the sign of the cross, the sign that is marked at baptism, as the presiding minister begins.

 Blessed be the holy Trinity, + one God, who sends the word with angels, who is made flesh among all peoples, and who breathes peace on all the earth.

Amen.

In Christ, we are bold to name our sin and cry out for peace.

 Silence is kept for reflection.

 Holy God,

we confess our sin before you.

We replace compassion with competition.

We seek what is mighty while ignoring the meek.

We are quick to anger but slow to forgive.

We have not put on love in harmony with you.

Wrap us in the grace of your powerful Word.

Swaddle our hearts with your peace,

that all we do, in word or deed,

may reflect your love born among us.

Amen.

I bring you good news of great joy for all people: God has come among us in the child born of Mary, Christ the Lord. + In Christ your sins are forgiven and you are clothed in peace.  Amen.

 HYMN   God of Grace and God of Glory      #705 v. 1,4


GREETING

The grace of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the love of God, and communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.

And also with you.

 KYRIE


HYMN OF PRAISE        Rise, Shine, You People!             #665 v.1       


PRAYER OF THE DAY

Children's message

 FIRST READING: Jeremiah 1:4-10

4Now the word of the LORD came to me saying, 5"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,

and before you were born I consecrated you; I appointed you a prophet to the nations." 6Then I said, "Ah, Lord GOD! Truly I do not know how to speak, for I am only a boy." 7But the LORD said to me,

            "Do not say, 'I am only a boy';

            for you shall go to all to whom I send you,

            and you shall speak whatever I command you.

                8Do not be afraid of them,

            for I am with you to deliver you,

            says the LORD."

9Then the LORD put out his hand and touched my mouth; and the LORD said to me, "Now I have put my words in your mouth. 10See, today I appoint you over nations and over kingdoms,  to pluck up and to pull down, to destroy and to overthrow, to build and to plant."


PSALM: Psalm 71:1-6

1In you, O LORD, have I | taken refuge;

            let me never be | put to shame.

2In your righteousness, deliver me and | set me free;

            incline your ear to | me and save me.

3Be my strong rock, a castle to | keep me safe;

            you are my crag | and my stronghold.

4Deliver me, my God, from the hand | of the wicked,

            from the clutches of the evildoer and | the oppressor.   R

5For you are my hope, | O Lord GOD,

            my confidence since | I was young.

6I have been sustained by you ever since I was born;

from my mother's womb you have | been my strength;

            my praise shall be al- | ways of you.   R

 

SECOND READING: 1 Corinthians 13:1-13

 1If I speak in the tongues of mortals and of angels, but do not have love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. 3If I give away all my possessions, and if I hand over my body so that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.

            4Love is patient; love is kind; love is not envious or boastful or arrogant 5or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; 6it does not rejoice in wrongdoing, but rejoices in the truth. 7It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

            8Love never ends. But as for prophecies, they will come to an end; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will come to an end. 9For we know only in part, and we prophesy only in part; 10but when the complete comes, the partial will come to an end. 11When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child; when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways. 12For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then we will see face to face. Now I know only in part; then I will know fully, even as I have been fully known. 13And now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; and the greatest of these is love.

 GOSPEL ACCLAMATION


GOSPEL: Luke 4:21-30

 21Then [Jesus] began to say to [all in the synagogue in Nazareth,] "Today this scripture has been fulfilled in your hearing." 22All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his mouth. They said, "Is not this Joseph's son?" 23He said to them, "Doubtless you will quote to me this proverb, 'Doctor, cure yourself!' And you will say, 'Do here also in your hometown the things that we have heard you did at Capernaum.'" 24And he said, "Truly I tell you, no prophet is accepted in the prophet's hometown. 25But the truth is, there were many widows in Israel in the time of Elijah, when the heaven was shut up three years and six months, and there was a severe famine over all the land; 26yet Elijah was sent to none of them except to a widow at Zarephath in Sidon. 27There were also many lepers in Israel in the time of the prophet Elisha, and none of them was cleansed except Naaman the Syrian." 28When they heard this, all in the synagogue were filled with rage. 29They got up, drove him out of the town, and led him to the brow of the hill on which their town was built, so that they might hurl him off the cliff. 30But he passed through the midst of them and went on his way.

 The Gospel of the Lord.  Praise to you, O Christ.

 SERMON

 HYMN      Although I Speak with Angel’s Tongue          #644 v. 1,2,4

  


APOSTLES CREED

I believe in God, the Father almighty, creator of heaven and earth.

 

I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord, who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried; he descended to the dead. On the third day he rose again; he ascended into heaven, he is seated at the right hand of the Father, and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

 

I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body, and the life everlasting.   Amen 


PRAYERS AND PEACE

OFFERING

COMMUNION PRAYER 

LORD'S PRAYER

 

Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name, thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread; and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever and ever. Amen 

DISTRIBUTION OF COMMUNION 

HYMN         There is no distribution hymn

POST COMMUNION PROCLAMATION 

POST COMMUNION PRAYER 

BLESSING 

HYMN       Go, My Children, With My blessing                #543

 


DISMISSAL

POSTLUDE         Light of the World                Ritter

Liturgy and hymns printed and streamed with permission through OneLicense. A-710659 

No comments:

Post a Comment