Friday, May 8, 2020

Worship Outline for Sunday, May 10, 2020



May 10, 2020
FIFTH SUNDAY OF EASTER

CONFESSION AND FORGIVENESS
Blessed be the holy Trinity, + one God,
who forgives all our sin,
whose mercy endures forever.
Amen.

Seeking reconciliation with God and neighbor,
let us remember the gift of baptism and confess our sin.

Silence is kept for reflection.

God of mercy,
we confess that we have sinned against you,
against one another,
and against the earth entrusted to our care.
We are worried and distracted by many things,
and we fail to love you above all else.
We store up treasures for ourselves
and turn away from our neighbors in need.
Forgive us, that we may live in the freedom of your Son,
Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.

When we were laid low by sin and guilt,
God made us alive together with Christ,
forgiving us + all our trespasses
by taking our sins to the cross.
For freedom Christ has set us free:
Rejoice in this good news!
Amen.

HYMN: ELW #558 “Lord God, We Praise You”

1 Lord God, we praise you, now the night is over,
active and watchful, standing here before you;
singing, we offer prayer and meditation;
thus we adore you.

2 Monarch of all things, fit us for your mansions;
banish our weakness, health and wholeness sending;
bring us to heaven, where your saints united
joy without ending.


3 All-holy Father, Son, and equal Spirit,
Trinity blessed, send us your salvation;
yours is the glory, gleaming and resounding
through all creation.

GREETING
P:  The grace of our Lord, Jesus Christ, the love of God, and communion of the Holy Spirit be with you all.
C:  And also with you.

PRAYER OF THE DAY
Almighty God, your Son Jesus Christ is the way, the truth, and the life. Give us grace to love one another, to following the way of his commandments, and to share his risen life with all the world, for he lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, one God, now and forever.

Children’s message

FIRST READING: Acts 7:55-60
55Filled with the Holy Spirit, [Stephen] gazed into heaven and saw the glory of God and Jesus standing at the right hand of God. 56"Look," he said, "I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!" 57But they covered their ears, and with a loud shout all rushed together against him. 58Then they dragged him out of the city and began to stone him; and the witnesses laid their coats at the feet of a young man named Saul. 59While they were stoning Stephen, he prayed, "Lord Jesus, receive my spirit." 60Then he knelt down and cried out in a loud voice, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he died.

PSALM: Psalm 31:1-5, 15-16
1In you, O LORD, have I taken refuge; let me never be put to shame;
            deliver me in your righteousness.
2Incline your ear to me;
            make haste to deliver me.
3Be my strong rock, a castle to keep me safe,
for you are my crag and my stronghold;
            for the sake of your name, lead  me and guide me.
4Take me out of the net that they have secretly set for me,
            for you are my tower of strength.  
5Into your hands I commend my spirit,
            for you have redeemed me, O LORD, God of truth.
15My times are in your hand;
            rescue me from the hand of my enemies,
            and from those who persecute me.
16Let your face shine upon your servant;
            save me in your steadfast love.  


SECOND READING: 1 Peter 2:2-10
2Like newborn infants, long for the pure, spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow into salvation — 3if indeed you have tasted that the Lord is good.4Come to him, a living stone, though rejected by mortals yet chosen and precious in God's sight, and 5like living stones, let yourselves be built into a spiritual house, to be a holy priesthood, to offer spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ.6For it stands in scripture: "See, I am laying in Zion a stone, a cornerstone chosen and precious; and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame." 7To you then who believe, he is precious; but for those who do not believe, "The stone that the builders rejected has become the very head of the corner," 8and "A stone that makes them stumble, and a rock that makes them fall." They stumble because they disobey the word, as they were destined to do. 9But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the mighty acts of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light. 10Once you were not a people, but now you are God's people; once you had not received mercy, but now you have received mercy.


GOSPEL: John 14:1-14
[Jesus said to the disciples:] 1"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Believe in God, believe also in me. 2In my Father's house there are many dwelling places. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? 3And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, so that where I am, there you may be also. 4And you know the way to the place where I am going." 5Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" 6Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7If you know me, you will know my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him." 8Philip said to him, "Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied." 9Jesus said to him, "Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and you still do not know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, 'Show us the Father'? 10Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own; but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if you do not, then believe me because of the works themselves. 12Very truly, I tell you, the one who believes in me will also do the works that I do and, in fact, will do greater works than these, because I am going to the Father. 13I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14If in my name you ask me for anything, I will do it."

SERMON

HYMN: ELW # 380 “Halleujah! Jesus Lives!”

1 Halleujah! Jesus lives!
He is now the Living One;
from the gloomy halls of death
Christ, the Conqueror, has gone,
bright forerunner to the skies
of his people, yet to rise.
2 Jesus lives! Why do you weep?
Why that sad and mournful sigh?
Christ who died our brother here
lives our brother still on high,
lives forever to bestow
blessings on his church below.
3 Jesus lives! And thus, my soul,
life eternal waits for you;
joined to Christ, your living head,
where he is, you shall be too;
with the Lord, at God's right hand,
as a victor you shall stand.
4 Jesus lives! Let all rejoice.
Praise him, ransomed of the earth.
Praise him in a nobler song,
cherubim of heav'nly birth.
Praise the victor king, whose sway
sin and death and hell obey.
5 Hallelujah! Angels, sing!
Join with us in hymns of praise.
Let your chorus swell the strain
which our feebler voices raise:
Glory to our God above
and on earth his peace and love!

APOSTLES CREED
C    I believe in God, the Father almighty,
            creator of heaven and earth.

I believe in Jesus Christ, God's only Son, our Lord,
            who was conceived by the Holy Spirit,
            born of the Virgin Mary,
            suffered under Pontius Pilate,
            was crucified, died, and was buried;
            he descended to the dead.
            On the third day he rose again;
            he ascended into heaven,
            he is seated at the right hand of the Father,
            and he will come to judge the living and the dead.

 I believe in the Holy Spirit,
            the holy catholic Church,
            the communion of saints,
            the forgiveness of sins,
            the resurrection of the body,
            and the life everlasting.   Amen

PRAYERS OF THE PEOPLE

PEACE

OFFERING

COMMUNION PRAYER
Please be sure to have the wafer or bread if you choose laid out in front of you.  As well is you have wine or juice present that it is also in front of you during the communion liturgy.  Once the liturgy is complete I will say, “The Body of Christ given for you.”  We will then eat together.  The same for the drink. 

Lord’s Prayer
C  Our Father, who art in heaven,
            hallowed be thy name,
            thy kingdom come,
            thy will be done,
                        on earth as it is in heaven.
  Give us this day our daily bread;
            and forgive us our trespasses,
                         as we forgive those who trespass against us;
            and lead us not into temptation,
                        but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory,
                        forever and ever. Amen

DISTRIBUTION OF COMMUNION

BLESSING

HYMN: ELW # 619 “I Know That My Redeemer Lives” vs 1-4, 8

1 I know that my Redeemer lives!
What comfort this sweet sentence gives!
He lives, he lives, who once was dead;
he lives, my ever-living head!
 
2 He lives triumphant from the grave;
he lives eternally to save;
he lives exalted, throned above;
he lives to rule his church in love.
3 He lives to grant me rich supply;
he lives to guide me with his eye;
he lives to comfort me when faint;
he lives to hear my soul's complaint.
4 He lives to silence all my fears;
he lives to wipe away my tears;
he lives to calm my troubled heart;
he lives all blessing to impart.
8 He lives, all glory to his name!
He lives, my Savior, still the same;
what joy this blest assurance gives:
I know that my Redeemer lives!


DISMISSAL

Liturgy and hymns printed and streamed with permission through One License.          
A-710659

No comments:

Post a Comment