Sunday, March 22, 2020

Guidance on prayer


Prayer:

As I mentioned in the sermon about praying together, I have put this together as a jumping off point. 

The following is a simple six step process for prayer.

1)    Identify the one you are addressing.  (Heavenly Father, Holy God, Almighty God, Gracious God.)
2)    Give thanks.  It is important to come before God in thanks for what we do have. (We thank you for this day, or I thank you for my family…)
3)    Identify a need or petition.  (Protect us in this time, heal my friend, take away my anxiety.)
4)    Request intervention.  (Be with them, heal them, etc..)
5)    Speak the name of the one through whom you pray.  In the name of Jesus..
6)    Amen ( I agree, this is true)


Example:
Dear heavenly Father.  Thank you for this day and the ability to wake in peace.  Thank you for those who love me and the resources I have in this time.  We pray for those whoa re struggling right now with fear or uncertainty.  Be present with them and send your Spirit of love to them.  Help me to know what I am to do.  In Jesus name.  Amen

Gracious God.  I thank you for listening to me.  Hear my cries.  I am scared and frightened and alone.  I need reassurance that it will all be okay.  Speak to me in any way that I can hear to know that you are present and active in my life.  Through Jesus Christ.  Amen

A few things to remember:
-The is no required length of prayer.  It can be short, long or somewhere in between.
-Prayer does not have to be perfect.  You can stumble and stop and start and go back.  God     is very patient.
-Prayer is an outpouring of where you are and what is going on.   
-God wants us to pray, to speak and listen
-The more you pray the better you will be at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment